By: Heidi Malano
With 2017 quickly approaching you have most likely thought about making a New Year’s Resolution of some sort. Right? Well, not to be a Debbie Downer; but do you think you will stay committed to that resolution of not honking your horn when someone cuts you off or avoiding your mom’s famous chocolate chip cookies? How about making a resolution geared toward music? After all, like Rock ‘n’ Roll, music is here to stay!
As far as we are concerned here at SLE, music really does make the world go round, and we want to suggest some fun ideas on how you can keep rocking into the New Year by experiencing music like you’ve never done before.
- Travel a bit further to a music venue you’ve only heard others rave about. From Red Rocks Amphitheatre and the Hollywood Bowl out West to The Tabernacle and the Ryman Auditorium down South, we are blessed to have some incredible places to hear some incredible music.
- Support your local music scene. Download the Bandsintown app on your phone to keep music right at your fingertips. With the touch of a button, you can choose a specific location/city and discover what music is playing right around the corner from you. Speaking of right around the corner…if you are near Scottsdale, Arizona on January 27, you will want to check out Matoma at Maya Day + Nightclub. He’ll be bringing his tropical-house beats and good vibes to this popular venue to get you moving and grooving all year long!
- Take a trip to your local record store and stay awhile. Here in Phoenix we have some great record stores like Stinkweeds and Revolver Records that help keep a rich history of music still alive. A rich history of vinyl and CDs, that is. Something about vinyl makes me smile. Something about hearing vinyl spin around on the record player actually takes me back to days spent browsing through cassette tapes at Zia Records. Take some time and go discover what music’s past can do for you today!
- Learn to play a musical instrument. If you are like us at SLE and are inspired by music then maybe it’s time to be inspired to play yourself. From the horns to the drums to the bass guitar, you may discover you have some mad skills of your own. Who knows where it may lead you?
- Take a few days out of your schedule and get to a music festival this year. From larger festivals like Bonnaroo and Austin City Limits to smaller festivals you may find in your city, there is something about a music festival with the open air and line-up of musicians that makes it most memorable. Here at SLE, we are excited to announce the 29th Annual Ostrich Festival March 10-12, which will bring music, food, rides, and racing birds for the whole family to enjoy. Visit ostrichfestival.com for more information.
- Follow Steve Levine Entertainment on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. If you are here in the Valley or planning to visit soon, make sure to follow us, so you can stay up to date on the shows coming your way. Also, you can catch your weekly dose of vibes on SLEmusic.com with our #MusicMonday, a playlist created by our team that will keep you dancing through the whole week and all the way into 2018!
Happy New Year!